Tourism Montagna Pistoiese | Snow Tuscany | Hotel Abetone | Holidays Montagna | Hotel Montagna

Hotel Abetone | Alberghi Abetone | Offerte Abetone | Hotel Montagna Pistoiese



8 ° C
min 3 max 13

Location


Ancient villages

The Historical Villages

Pistoia´s Mountain together with its natural beauties offer a fascinating environment where memories trace a back in time itinerary. Visitors will be able to recreate , through the historical traces, the picture of a territory where impressive and severe stone-fortresses rose among crowded chestnut, fir and beech woods. Fortresses ruins mark a past worth visiting.

San Marcello Pistoiese

Our voyage of discovery through the historical locations in Pistoia´s mountain area begins in San Marcello Pistoiese, which has been one of the best-known and best-loved centres for summer tourism since the 19" century. The town is situated on a sunny hill covered with green woodlands, rolling gently down to the Limestre river valley. The original nucleus, which may be of Roman origin, has many signs of past centuries: from the 14s´ century onwards the Captaincy of the mountains was continually contended with Cutigliano. The Romanesque church of San Marcello, which was altered in the 17´" and 78´" centuries, contains the remains of St. Celestina, patron of the town and protector of the mountain and whose feast day on 8´" September is celebrated in the town every year, culminating in the launching of a coloured paper hot-air balloon based on the original design by the Montgolfier brothers. There are many possible excursions from San Marcello, following the ancient roads and numerous paths leading into the enchanting countryside bathed in the aromas, flavours, and sounds of nature. As well as itineraries through the ancient forest of Teso, there are other unusual destinations such as the narrow hanging bridge of Mammiano, a long walkway linking the two banks of the Lima river built in 1922 for the workers of the Metallurgical Company of Mammiano, and the Observatory where on a clear night visitors can scan the starry skies. Other attractive villages are within easy reach of San Marcello: Maresca, for example, is a small but popular health resort where the International Folklore Festival and Extrad´arte (a theatre and music festival with street artists) are held every July. Lizzano is an ancient village which was once of the most important centres between the 70´" and 14´" centuries. Today the village is known for its murales decorating the buildings, which were painted between 1985 and 1990 by the artists of the Gruppo Donate/to, and narrate mountain life in a language of bright colours. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia]

Gavinana

The town of Gavinana is crowned by extensive chestnut woods, and is a well-known summer holiday destination; the old medieval nucleus of the town is still intact, with is winding little streets leading up to the main square and the old houses with walls made from local stone, their tiny windows and framed doorways embellished in springtime with colourful flowers. The history of the town is linked to a hem: Franceses Ferrucci, a leader of the Florentine Republic militia. On y´August 7530 he led his soldiers in the hard battle against the Imperial troops. Dedicated to this hero who fought until death are the equestrian statue in the central square and the nearby Museo Ferruciano, which displays mementoes of many Italian patriots who honoured Ferrucci during the Fiisorgimento. Also in the piazza, which is a central meeting place and venue for cultural and popular events, stands the old church of Santa Maria Assunta, built in the 12´" century and renovated inside in the 17th century. Inside the church are two valuable 16th century works in glazed terracotta by Benedetto Buglioni, and an exquisite 19th century organ made by the well-known organ-makers Cesare and Luigi Tronci. Along with other historical organs in the mountain churches, this instrument is part ofPistoia´s prestigious musical tradition. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia]

Cutigliano

Cutigliano sits on a spur in the shelter of Mt. Cuccola immersed in dense woodland, and the signs of this medieval village´s past are still visible today. It is built along an important thoroughfare which was recorded in the Longobard era, and crossed the Croce Arcana Pass to head north. Cutigliano developed after 1368 when it became the centre of the Pistoia mountain magistracy. The town has typical narrow streets flanked with ancient buildings and monuments, and a flourishing summer tourist industry as well as a ski resort at Doganaccia on the Apennine ridge. The focal point of the village is the Piazza del Municipio, overlooked by the Palazzo Pretorio, or Palazzo dei Capitani delta Montagna. built in the late 14th century and extended in later centuries. The town´s history is recorded on these ancient walls by the many coats-of arms in stone and multicoloured terracotta. representing the various Captains of the magistracy; while a large Medici coat-of-arms surmounted with the papal insignia of Leo X is situated above the entrance portal. Another symbol of Florentine domination is the statue by Marzocco on the stone column in the square, which is a copy of the original sculpture preserved in the Renaissance arcade, another example of the beautiful architecture of the town which contains a 76"´ century fresco of the Madonna and Child. The sound of water running from the little stone fountain accompanies the visitor as far as the nearby church of Madonna di Piazza, in which another glazed terracotta work by Benedetto Buglioni can be seen. There are interesting examples of 17"´ century Florentine art in the church of San Bartolomeo just outside the town. The area surrounding Cutigliano is full of possibilities for walks and excursions of environmental interest, such as the Scaffaiolo lake. Melo, Pianosinatico, Pian di Noveilo and Sestaione, with its beautiful grand-ducal fountain to refresh tourists as they make their way across the landscape. Particularly interesting are Pian degli Ontani, the homeland of the shepherdess poet Beatrice Bugelli, and Flivoreta, a little village which houses the Ethnological Museum of the Apennine peoples. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia]

Piteglio

Piteglio is situated between the valleys of the Torbecchia and Liesina rivers and overlooks the Val di Lima where the important old trans-Apennine route linked Pistoia and Gaiiagnana. In the 71 "´-7 2"´ centuries Piteglio was a fortified castle under Pistoiese rule and its architectural history can be read in the old houses on the narrow alleyways leading up to the centre of the village. Here stands the church of Santa Maria Assunta with its square bell tower which also functioned as a watch tower. There are two churches in the little village: the Santissima Annunziata, which according to local tradition was built by Matilde di Canossa and dates back to 1040, and Santa Maria Assunta, dating back to the 7 2th century and renovated in later centuries. Here an ancient form of worship was practised, linked to the holy milk of the Madonna which according to popular tradition was brought back from the Holy Land by a crusader; the precious liquid is still kept in the chapel of the Madonna del Latte inside a large 7 7th century altar. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia]

Popiglio

The town of Popiglio was an old feudal property belongong to the Conti Guidi around the year 1000 and today its history is evident in its rich artistic heritage. Its strategic position protecting the territory bordering with Lucca was often the site of bitter warfare between Pistoia and Lucca and the fortified village was destroyed many times. The towers and the medieval castle ruins are important records of its past, along with the architectural structure of the residential centre; the church of Santa Maria Assunta is one of the most important holy monuments of the Pistoiese Mountain area. It was built in 1271 and the external structure is the original Romanesque style, with a facade decorated with stone bas-reliefs: the interior was renovated in the late 16th century and embellished over the centuries with important works of art which still impress visitors today. The nearby Museum of Holy Art is situated in the sacristy and oratory of the Compagnia del Corpus Domini, and has a collection of paintings, sculptures, religious furnishings and hangings, and completes this important popular artistic and religious itinerary of the Ecomusuem of the Pistoia Mountains. Four interesting routes lead off from the church following the paths of the ancient rogations; one leads down towards the Lima river and the single-arched medieval bridge known as ´´Castruccio´s bridge", an enchanted place immersed in the countryside almost outside time. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia]

Calamecca

There is historical evidence of the fortified castle of Calamecca from the mid-11"1 century: this was a stop along the ancient routes which met here and linked tlie valleys ofPescia and Pistoia across Femminamorta. Casore del Monte and Sen´avalle Pisto/ese. The village has been transformed and extended over time, but traces remain of the castle´s 13th century structure, rebuilt after 1182 when it was destroyed by the Pistoiese rebelling against the city´s magistracy. The church of San Miniate and some of the aristocratic buildings have 16"´ century features. Other nearby places have memories of medieval castles, such as Lanciole, Panoramawhich still has its typical fortress plan and Crespole, a castle which became the favourite residence of noble families during Medici rule. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia]

Serra Pistoiese

The earliest record ofSerra is in 1040, as a stronghold belonging to the Conti Albert! di Capraia. and then yielded to the Pistoiese at the end of the 13th century. The castle was destroyed in 1327 but quickly rebuilt. Visitors to the ancient village are immediately struck by the unusual urban structure which winds along the ridge of the mountain, linking with a single road the two ancient gates which can still be seen in the ancient walls. Inside the fortified outer walls is the church of San Leonardo, with its beautiful medieval stone capitals. In the bell tower - which was originally a watchtower - is the old door to the castle, surmounted by a stone Medici coat-of-arms. Particularly interesting is the site of the old church of Furfalo, one of the oldest in the Pistoia area. the ruins of which can be seen in a wood between the village of Serra and the Nievole Valley, and which is a profoundly holy place for mountain residents; during the Easter period religious rituals are still practiced here. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia]

Marliana

n the Middle Ages Marliana, Montagnana, Momigno, Casore del Monte and Serra formed a group of fortified castles on the territory between the plains and the Apennine mountains. Marliana overlooks the hills between the river valleys of the Vincio and the Nievole, and is surrounded by dense chestnut woods. The existence of the old castle was recorded in the 12th century and it was destroyed in 1177 during war with Montecatim, to be rebuilt a few years later. The village played a leading role in the struggles between Pistoia and Lucca and enjoyed a long period of peace under Florentine rule. The residential area has maintained its attractive urban plan around the church of San Niccolo, recorded from [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia]

Serravalle Pistoiese

Serravalle Pistoiese is halfway between Pistoia and Montecatini Terme along the route once crossed by the via Cassia, and overlooks the valley with its two towers rising up over the summit of the hill and outlining its characteristic profile. The town played an important role in the 12th and 13th centuries and its medieval stronghold structure is still intact, with little paved streets leading up through the houses into little squares or suddenly overlooking the valley bottom. Serravalle is certainly worth visiting and a visit must include a look at the castle ruins, enjoying the panoramic view from the top of one of the towers at the Rocca Nuova, which can be reached by a metal staircase. There are also two medieval churches to visit: San Michele with its typical 7 7"´ century arcade along the southern side and the Romanesque structure inside, with stone apse. and Santo Stefano which stands above to the village with its sober white facade contrasting with the 78"´ century affectation of the interior, renovated several times following the fire of 7507, Behind the church stands the so-called Torre del Barbarossa (Ftedbeard Tower). The recently-restored little oratory of Saints Rocco and Sebastian is a real gem and inside are parts of the masterful 74´" century frescoes. The municipality of Serravalle is situated on the eastern slopes of Montalbano, in a very interesting landscape characterised by extensive olive groves. Pleasant excushons can be made to Casalguidi, a small village renowned for its traditional hand-embroidery, and Vinacciano and Castellina, small medieval villages. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia] 

Sambuca Pistoiese

Situated on the border between Tuscany and Emilia. Sambuca is a meeting point between two lands whose cultures and traditions live alongside each other in this part of the Pistoiese Mountain area. The high valleys of the Limentra and Limentrella streams used to be important areas, with their interwoven roadways like via Francesca delta Sambuca, which links central-western Tuscany to the Reno valley and the cities of the via Emilia and the Po Valley. In the Middle ages churches, monasteries and hostels were built along these ancient thoroughfares which are still recorded in historical documentation and of which some signs remain. Following the pathways of this side of our mountain leads to the discovery of an illustrious past and a uniquely beautiful landscape. The castle of Sambuca was built from the mid-11´" century as a watchtower and played a strategic role in the age-old contention between Bologna and Pistoia. to which it was only definitively annexed in 1775. The town is the same as it was two hundred years ago with the houses lined up above the terraced south-facing vegetable gardens, the little square leading to the church and above, the ruins of the old fortress. The huge, cut-off tower is a clear reminder of the castle´s military role, while the ruins of the old walls have been incorporated into the priest´s house and church of San Giacomo Maggiore (St. James), patron saint of Pistoia known here as San Jacopo. Walking through the village the visitor is immersed in a beautiful space full of almost-forgotten sounds like water running from a drinking fountain, the chatter of those walking or standing in the narrow streets and the wind blowing the branches of the trees in the surrounding forest. Another important stronghold in this part of the mountains was the castle of Torn, recorded as far back as 11^ century and traces of which are still visible today. This pretty little mountain village has typical narrow stone-paved streets, and on a natural rise stands the church of Santa Maria Assunta, of medieval origin, today with a 17th-IS"1 century aspect. In summer the town is enlivened by cultural and popular events and the residents are joined in their celebrations by visitors. [testi del Servizio Turismo della provincia di Pistoia] 

EcoMuseo

EcoMuseum Visitors' Center

Palazzo Achilli was built in Gavinana by the Prince of Piombino, Ludovico Appiani, in the second half of the16th century (according to some documents, the precise date of its construction was 1585).The palace was probably built over a medieval structure, as shown by a tower that was incorporated into the building but which collapsed at the end of the 1800s. When Ludovico Appiani died the palace was abandoned for a long time and fell into serious decay. In the middle of the 1700s, Filippo Achilli, a rich cheese merchant from Rome, bought the palace, by then badly ruined, and restored the side parts which were still stable. On Achilli’s death the building was inherited by his son, Domenico, who turned a large room in the basement of the building into a theatre for private performances.This continued until 1913. The last descendent of the Achilli family, a priest, left the palace to the people of Gavinana. It was then used as a monastery by the Suore Crocifissine (‘Sisters of the crucifix’) who ran a primary school and a nursery there. During the Fascist era the building was used as the offices of the Ente Comunale di Assistenza, and then, with directive n.616 in 1977 it was given to the Commune of San Marcello. In April 1994 the palace was definitively declared to be the property of the commune, and since 1996 it has been on loan to the Province of Pistoia which has completel yrestored the complex and turned it into the Ecomuseum’s visitors’ centre. The centre contains exhibition areas, workshops, and meeting rooms, as well as a sound library of oral traditions from the Pistoiese mountains.This is the result of a detailed work of research which has brought to light hundreds of songs, poems and rhymes performed by locals and recorded for the library. In 1530 Gavinana was the scene of a famous battle when Francesco Ferrucci led the army of the Florentine Republic against the troops of Charles V. These events are commemorated in the Museo Ferrucciano, in the village’s central square. Inaugurated in 1931, the museum is a threestorey 18th-century building housing four rooms of exhibits. Textes Ufficio Cultura Provincia di Pistoia

Stone Trail

The commune of Sambuca still possesses evidence of the use of stone in its many forms, and the Ecomuseum has laid out a number of itineraries which help the visitor to explore this theme. 1. The Via Francesca della Sambuca, a medieval highway Starting in Pàvana, the ancient Via Francesca, paved in stone, leads through the silent woodland to the Castle of Sambuca. The trail begins at the study centre at Pàvana (in Piazza della Chiesa), where various workshops on stone are held. At Sambuca Castle there is an inviting shelter built into the castle walls. 2. Acquerino Biogenetic Reserve, a medieval settlement Archaeological research on a site of around 1600sqm has brought to light a large building complex which contains the identifiable remains of a single apse church.The data gathered suggest that the site may have been a well-organised monastic complex which existed in medieval times and disappeared shortly after the foundation of the Abbey of Fontana at Taona at the beginning of the 11th century. 3.Torri – the stone quarries This stone trail begins in the hamlet of Torri, goes through the village and, at Casone, joins the existing path which links Torri with the village of Volotto. At Casone there is an ancient wash-house with a stream, a stone drinking trough and a precious tabernacle. From Volotto the path leads to the stone quarries which are the largest in the area, extending over a huge rockface. 4.Treppio and the Valle della Limentrella This path takes the visitor through a number of abandoned hamlets, still intact and preserving some outstanding stone buildings.

Iron Trail

In the XVIth century the Pistoiese mountains were the first center for iron and steel production in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. In fact, the aera was rich in natural energy, such as water and a dense woodland, which supplied the driving force and combustible materials for the ironworks. Mammiano Suspension Bridge Built in 1922 by the engineer Vincenzo Douglas Scotti of the Italian Metalworkers´ Society of Campo Tizzoro, the bridge created a shortcut for the workers who had to to get to the ironworks in the valley opposite to Popiglio. At its highest point the bridge is 35 meters tall and 212.4 meters long. It is one of the longest pedastrian suspension bridges in the world and attracts a great number of visitors. 

Ice Trail

The production of natural ice, which developed in the Pistoiese mountains between the end of the 1700s to the mid-1900s, was centred in the Reno valley between the villages of Le Piastre and Pracchia. At that time thousands of tons of ice were produced used water from the river, the low winter temperatures and an ingenious system of artificial channels and lakes. An example of this production process is the Madonnina Iceworks (at Le Piastre).The Madonnina represents the ‘workplace’ on the Ecomuseum’s blue trail, while educational activities take place in the study and exhibition centre in Pracchia. This features working models, instruments used in the making of ice, and a multi-media room.

Nature Trail

As a result of certain historical events, conditions were created in the Apennines of Tuscany and Emilia so that the high altitude flora there is very similar from a qualitative point of view to that of the Alps.The Orto Botanico Forestale dell’Abetone (Woodland Botanical Garden of the Abetone), in the Upper Val Sestaione, is dedicated to the cultivation and display of this flora, using specific environments, and has been open to the public since 1987.Three quarters of the area is made up of the original Apennine forest.The remaining part is occupied by a small rock garden and a pond. Its peculiarity lies in the intimate connection that the garden conserves with the surrounding plant environment and its ability to guide visitors on a discovery of the area’s rare botanic species. Although the garden was only recently formed, in the space of a few years its collection has increased and its functions broadened to such an extent that it has become an authentic integrated museum. The Botanical Garden has widened its educational scope by setting up a study centre at Fontana Vaccaia.This multifunctional centre completes the studies carried out by both schools and training courses. Two rooms in the former S.M.I. school at Campo Tizzoro have been used to set up the Centro naturalistico Archeologico dell’Appennino pistoiese (Natural and Archaeological centre of the Pistoiese Apennines).This documentation centre contains prehistoric and geo-palaeontological finds from the north-western Apennines, including a skeleton of orsus spaeleus. The museum gives a brief illustration of the history of man in the area and also contains some evocative reconstructions. 

Religious Art and Popular Faith Trail

In his “libbro dei ricordi” (book of memoirs) (1549-1601) the parish priest Girolamo Magni recounts how, during that century, the Pieve (Parish church) of Popiglio (in the commune of Piteglio) was adorned with precious works of art donated by a local family, the Vannini, who lived in Rome. Thanks to them, the Pieve of Santa Maria Assunta now displays, in the Museo diocesano d’Arte Sacra di Popiglio (diocesan museum of religious art) some rare examples of Roman Baroque art.The adjacent Compagnia del SS. Sacramento (Company of the Holy Sacrament) contains a display of religious paraments and furnishings from the churches of the Pistoiese mountains. Close to the Parish Church lies the Convent of the Sisters of St Francis and St Dominic, founded in the 16th century. From the church square a paved pathway leads to the museum’s study centre (housed in a historic building which also contains the Mascagni Theatre) where various activities such as weaving can be tried. Various devotional paths wind from the village of Popiglio, such as the one which leads to the medieval bridge known as the Ponte di Castruccio Castracani, over the River Lima.

Every Life Trail

The Museo della Gente dell’Appennino pistoiese (folk museum of the Pistoiese mountains) at Rivoreta, transports visitors on a journey into the lives of the people of this area, from Modern times to the present day.The museum has adopted a new approach, inviting visitors first of all to enter a world where things are made by hand, which in pre-industrial society meant above all thinking with one’s hands.The objects produced are then placed along a route (equipped with Walkassistant technology for the blind) made up of impressions, recollections and sounds intended to evoke ideas and arouse emotions. However, the heart of the museum lies in its relationship with the village that created it, and which puts on an annual display of practical aspects of mountain life on the “living museum day” (last Sunday in July) and during the “fair of knowledge”. Inside the museum is the ‘toy workshop’ where visitors are invited to put their imagination and manual skills to the test by creating simple toys with basic materials. An ancient metato (a stone building for the drying of chestnuts) has been set up (2006) with a museum section dedicated to the processing of wool. In the Valle dell’Orsigna the Val d’Orsigna cooperative has restored a number of buildings which are now used for the processing of wood fruits: a metato, for the drying of chestnuts, and a mill, the Molino di Giamba, with two water-driven millstones, built in 1820. Uphill from the mill, another historic building has been set up for the display and sale of typical local produce. In the nearby chestnut woods new techniques for the cultivation and processing of chestnuts are being experimented with. Also in the Valle dell’Orsigna, the old ‘coal route’ has been opened up for educational purposes.

Villas

Villa Bondi

In the past Camillo Bondi, friend of Giacomo Puccini, lived in this palace. Today it is a private house. Via Brennero, 528 51021 Abetone

Villa de Viti

Villa dei Viti, plonged in the wood, was built in 1900 by the Marquis de Vito, who lived in Italy. The family spent here his holiday and loto of famous figures visited it. During the second world war, 1943, the palace was the base for the German Command. Via Brennero(ex Via Ximenes),19 51021 Abetone 

Villa Giardini

Villa Gardini is today the Hotel Regina. Its rooms hosted many important figures: the writer, ethnologist, orientalist and traveler Fosco Maraini; Curzio Malaparte eccentric writer; Teseo Tesei who improves a assault craft for the Regia Marina Italiana and the champion Fausto Coppi. Via Brennero (ex Via Giardini), 5 51021 Abetone

Villa Imperatori

This villa belonged to Giacomo Puccini, a fomous composer. He and his friends, Vaucaire a french poetry and David and Sybil Seligman, spent their time in this beautiful villa enjoing nature and peace. Next to the stucture the first ski tow has been built in 1936 and it connected the villa to the mountain hut "La Selletta", at an altitude of 1711 metres.

Villa Mantegazza

This villa has been built by the will of Paolo Mantegazza (1831-1910), anthropologist, doctor and writer, expert, mountain and travel lover. He has been one of the promoters of the studies about drugs, specially about Cocaine. Today is an Hotel (Excelsior) property of Caniparoli family.

Villa Salviati

Built at the beginning of 1900 bu the will of duke don Pietro Salviati, the villa was used as summer residence. This villa has been used until the end of the second world war, today it´s a private housing. Via Brennero(ex Via Ximenes), 217 51021 Abetone

Villa Sammarughi

In the past this villa was a customs house until the national unity of Italy. Before that it has also been the private resindece C.J. Forsith Major (1834-1922). In 1930 it became an hotel which unfortunately burned some years later. Today it is waiting for a renovation.

Villa Strozzi

Marquis Massimiliano Strozzi gave it as a present to his wife Guendalina. Afetr the death of his husband she stayed in the villa until 1050. Tday it is an hotel (Hotel Bellavista). 

Villa Zaubow

This "villa", located near Fontana Vaccaia, takes its name from the Zaubow Russian princess, wife of a Tsar, General escaped from Russia after the revolution. Shortly handsome in appearance, the Princess hid a very generous spirit: at his death, he left all his employees an annuity of £ 60 per month. The principles Zaubow also possessed the villa "Ombrellino", near Fiesole (FI) where it stayed during the winter months. After many years of neglect and of various modifications, the "villa" was restored and renovated to "Casa per Ferie" under the name "La casetta" run by the Cooperativa Sociale Stays "CER" of Brescia. Via Brennero (ex Via Ximenes), 84-86 51021 Abetone

Fountains

The Fountains

With this theme-based route we begin a trip to discover the zone of Pistoia´s Mountains between the rivers Reno and Lima. We will do it paying attention to the many examples of fountains located in the area. Thanks to these handmade works spreaded in the territory we can obtain some historical, cultural and artistic informations. The fountains: they are easily visible and accessible around us, they are external and free to visit, we can consider them as "alive objects" sbject to the flow of time. 

Fontanone Passo dell'Oppio

On the street to Abetone near Passo dell´Oppio you can find this simple but beautiful fountain.

Fontana del Ponte Sestaione

This fountain, near Ponte Sestaione, was in the past a traditional stop for them who wanted to get fresh before continue their walk. On the slab there is a sentences tipical of a popular traditions: “O PELLEGRIN SE DEL SENTIER SEI LASSO/ FERMATI BEVI E POI RADDOPPIA IL PASSO”. It has been built by the will of Grand Duke Petro Leopoldo.

Abetone Fountain

This fountain has been built in 1905, probably over the remains of an old structure. It is located near the big square of Abetone behind which there is a wood.

Pianosinatico Fountain

The Fontana of Pianosinatico is located on the street to Abetone and, as many others ofountains of the zone, is a traditional stop on the way to refresh.

Campotizzoro Fountain

Campotizzoro has some unusual features that make it a "modern" centre with some industrial architectures. Saint Barbara Church is located over an hill which dominates the village. In its squere you can find a beautufl fountain. The Church and the fountain have been built in 1940.

Fontana di Bardalone Basso

On the street near Bardalone, this fountain offers a very good water.

Fontana di Piazza in Bardalone

The Fountain in the Square of Bardalone is located in the centre of the Church square. It is an imitation of the fountain in the square of Gavinana.

Fontana di Piazza a Maresca

This fountain is located in Ludovico Appiano square, the main square of Maresca. 

Fontanella di Borgo Freddo

Walking through the narrow streets of Maresca you can fing next to a house a little fountain. Today the little basin is used as a flowerpot.

Fountain della Banchina

Near Maresca there is "Fontana dalla Banchina". It is made of a circular basin with a big stone which support a woman spilling water from a jug. Giuseppe Bartolozzi e Clara Tesi made this bronze statue with a special technique. At the base of the basin there is a sentence of Saint Fancesco d´Assisi “Per sor Acqua, utile e umile e preziosa e casta”, praise to water.

Fonte dei Gorghi

At the enter of Gavinana you can find "Fonte dei Gorghi" a beautiful but simple fountain.

Fontana di Piazza Ferrucci

In the main square of Gavinana, dedicated to Francesco Ferrucci, you can find this beautiful and ancient fountain.

Fonte della Pievana

In Gavinana there is also the little fountain "della Pievana" with a simple structure.

Fontana di Piazza in San Marcello

The Fountain in the square of San Marcello is located in the little sqaure Port’Arsa and it has a massive structure. 

Fontana di Piazza della Chiesa

Located in piazzetta G. Arcangeli between Palazzo Comunale and the Church, this fountain is an imitation of the one in Gavinana, built in 1904.

Fountain of Life in San Marcello

The Fontana della vita is located in San Marcello along the panoramic avenue of the village plonged in a little wood. It is a sort of "cave" in which there are three little basins which represents the three ages of men enriched by water, vital element. On a rectangular stone there is a popular refrain: “A LA FONTE DELLA VITA/ CHI VI VIENE SI MARITA”. 

Along the Viale di San Vito

The beautiful avenue wich runs along the Church reach the Poggio di San Vito through a wonderful walking. In the past this path connects Pistoia to Modena and it acquires more importance in XII – XIII century and during the Middle Ages. Along that path there is still now located the Saint Bartolomeo Church. During the walk you can find two fountains.

Fonte di San Bernardino

The "Fonte di San Bernardino" is located in Cutigliano and it is dedicated to Saint Bernardino.

Captain's Pit

Among the most important fountains of Cutigliano there is also the “Pozzo del Capitano”. It is located in the center of the village behid a building which is today the base of township. The pozzo is the only survivor of the ancient palace.

Fontana della Loggia

In Cutigliano there is "Fontana della Loggia". Built in XV century, this fountain is located in next to the "Palazzo dei Capitani". It is likely that for a period it has been the only source of water of the village. 

Fontana di Piazza Catilina

This fountain is located in the main square of Cutigliano. It has been built in XX century.

Fontana di Migliarina

Fontana Migliarina is located near Catilina Square and it has been built in XIX century by local artists.

Fontana di Pian degli Ontani

Campotizzoro is a small village near Abetone plonged in a wood full of beeches and chestnuts. In the main square of the village, where is situated SS. Maria and Cirillo Church, you can find a nice fountain built as a niche in the perimeter fence that delimits that Church. Next to the fountain there is a monument dedicated to “Beatrice di pian degli Ontani” made by Vinicio Betti. For its unveiling in 2000 the whole sqaure, included the fountain, has been remodeled.

Rivoreta Fountain

In the little village of Rivoreta you can find a simple but beautiful fountain. the two spouts bring two different kind of water from two different springs. Only one is drinkable. It has probably been built in 1894.

vacanza in toscana su facebook